Thursday, December 08, 2005

Innovate or Avoid Risk

The Xooglers blog has some really interesting posts. In one, "But, but, that's just crazy talk!", Doug Edwards discusses a great example of what true leadership is about.

In my defense, my background conspired against me. Past public relations debacles had taught me always to evaluate worst-case scenarios before considering the possible benefits of any new initiative. "First, do no harm" had become my mantra.


This is the reality of many people. There are many reasons why avoiding risks is smart and should be encouraged. But when avoiding risks stifles innovation it the risks to the organization are huge.

And I took a notion that maybe I should be more open-minded about big ideas that, on the face of them, seemed ludicrous. I would have many opportunities to test this resolve in the years to come.

A great lesson. The hard part is that stupid decisions can easily be made when knowledge is lacking. There is no substitute for knowledge - W. Edwards Deming.

Quote from Lion of Lean, interview with Jim Womack:

So this guy, who was around 60, gives me an incredibly frosty look and says, "Because I know everything." Everything? "That's my job," he says.

You have to read the article to understand that quote.

Related Links:

No comments: