This short article is pepered with many great quotes as section headers:
- In TPS, the T also stands for "Thinking"
- To cut lead-time, cut out all the bits that don't add value.
- The line must stop if there is a problem.
- Ask yourself "Why?" five times.
- Develop people who can come up with unique ideas.
Early in his career, Minoura worked under Taiichi Ohno, recognized as the creator of the Toyota Production System. Ohno, through tireless trial and error, managed to put into practice a "pull" system that stopped the factory producing unnecessary items. But Minoura observes that it was only by developing this "loose collection of techniques" into a fully-fledged system, dubbed the Toyota Production System or TPS, that they were able to deploy this throughout the company