• Home
  • What Could we do Better?
  • Instituting a Management Improvement Culture in Your Organization
  • Find the Root Cause Instead of the Person to Blame
  • Good Process Improvement Practices
  • Management is Prediction
  • The Purpose of an Organization
  • Performance Without Appraisal
  • Manufacturing and the Economy
  • Practical Ways to Respect People
  • 10 stocks for 10 years
  • Deming and Toyota
  • Curious Cat Management Improvement Articles
  • John Hunter
  • Institute for Healthcare Improvement
  • Superfactory
  • Management Improvement Jobs
  • Deming on Management
  • Management and Leadership Quotes
  •    

    I am now using this blog to re-post some comments I make other blogs. For my full management blog see the Curious Cat Management Blog

    Saturday, September 22, 2012

    People Leave Jobs When Frustrated with the Results of the Management System and Their Manager

    So people join organisations, and leave Top Leaders!
    I participated in a Twitter exchange following the CIPD’s report – along the lines of who is the biggest problem – rubbish leaders, managers, HRDs or organisations?  But thinking it through, I would go for the leaders – as they have so much influence over the approach their line managers take.
    ...
    there are clearly a range of factors involved in exit decisions and an individual's line manager is certainly one of these. But I do agree with the researchers, and therefore disagree with Gallup, in that I believe it is the senior leadership which is increasingly the most important of these.
    I think your focus on the nuance is where I would put my, granted non-expert, opinion.  I believe what you say about the big impact executives/leaders have in setting and maintaining the management system.  The direct boss I do think has a big impact.  But it is true that much of the direct boss' impact steams from the system - if they are not a good manager that is usually a system results.

    It is rare that the organization does a great job of selecting and developing managers and your manager is lousy and you want to leave.  In broken systems (unfortunately many - which is why Dilbert connects with so many) often the direct supervisor becomes the focus of complaints but really they are largely at the mercy of the larger system.

    Related: posts from my management blog on managing people - Practical Ways to Demonstrate Respect to Employees - Create a Climate for Joy in Work

    Labels: , , ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home